Recently we were awarded 5% Day at Whole Foods here in Memphis. Quarterly, the branches are given the chance to choose a nonprofit to award these collected proceeds. We applied to be selected, made it through round 1 of the selection process and were notified that we were invited to share our mission and vision along with 2 other local nonprofits. I arrived dressed in my typical blue jeans and blazer, and was surprised to find out that the meeting was OUTSIDE. Not only was it outside…I also discovered that the three presenting groups were speaking before the entire staff. I was immediately impressed with their inclusion of the whole staff – and thrilled when we learned the staff voted for Habitat for hope!
I stayed for a while to observe their meeting, and loved the way they built community among the staff and management, and created a fun, lively and encouraging environment. A few take-homes for me:
- They were a multi-cultural and diverse group.
- The energy was awesome – pre-meeting announcements shared about exciting news, giveaways that night, a hotdog eating competition, all while the band warmed up.
- They CELEBRATED the new staff and gave them an opportunity on an open mic to share about themselves.
- They CELEBRATED successes and achievements.
- They have created a culture of ownership among their employees.
- They empowered their staff by giving them the ability to choose where their charity dollars are given.
- They made clear statements about the local branch of a major corporation impacting the Memphis community.
- They did not talk about profit margins, sales reports, policies and failures.
We are honored to be Whole Foods’ charity of choice on September 14th. Save up your monthly shopping for Tuesday, September 14th and share in what promises to be a fun day at Whole Foods Poplar!